National space data lab
Space data is now used in a wide range of fields. It is indispensable for weather forecasts and monitoring the climate, among other things, but it is also extremely important for forestry, agriculture and other fields in which up-to-date information about vegetation and the land surface is needed.
The National Space Data Lab (Nationella Rymddatalabbet) will be a national knowledge and data hub for Swedish authorities' work on earth observation data and for the development of AI-based analysis of data, generated in space systems. The purpose is to increase the use of data from space for the development of society and industry and for the benefit of the globe. The goal is to get data, technology and methodology in place to systematically develop services and applications that use space data in the data lab.
Referens group: Skogstyrelsen, SGI, SMHI, Jordbruksverket, Lantmäteriet, SSC, Naturvårdsverket.
Project period: 20190603-20210602
A national resource to Satellite data
By the Space Data Lab we create a national infrastructure for exploitation of space data in order to increase the possibilities of developing smart and effective AI solutions for everything from storage of space data to how you can manage constellations of satellites in orbit.
The users of the data lab will be primarily public authorities with responsibility for civil, environmental and natural resources, but will also be able to include everything from large forestry companies to individual farmers and private persons.
The Space Data Lab mission
- Make space data easy accessible and contribute to innovations and applications based on space data
- Make data, processing capacity, software platforms & tools and methodology available to lower the threshold
- Enable systematic development of services and applications based on space data
- Create new possibilities – based on a real time, true situational awareness
- Increase the pre-requisites for developing countries as well as technically advanced countries
Project Time Line