About AI Innovation of Sweden
Sweden launches a national initiative to accelerate research and innovation in Artificial Intelligence. AI Innovation of Sweden.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is emerging as the key technology for innovation, growth of new jobs and societal development. Countries around the world are investing vast sums in infrastructure, research, education and innovation. Investments are also being made in incentives to support industry competitiveness, solve societal challenges, maintain standard of living, and secure their country’s share of international investments and access to products, services and talent. Sweden is a late starter in the race. However, it is now launching several major public and private initiatives to close the gap.
A broad spectrum of stakeholders in Sweden (representing industry, the public sector, and academia) have expressed interest in establishing a collaborative research and innovation centre that will serve as the engine for an AI ecosystem that fuels the Swedish economy and attracts leading global expertise who intend on making a significant impact in their field. Companies and organizations who partner with the centre desire access to a collaborative community of researchers and students for their problems, projects and people. Significant benefits and synergies can thereby be derived from sharing existing datasets (open or private). They will also be able to enhance their own data science capabilities.
During summer 2018, Lindholmen Science Park was assigned the task of conceptualising and building the model for a national centre for AI related research, innovation and education. Following hundreds of individual meetings and discussions within the private sector, public sector and academia, this work has now been completed. The result of it all, AI Innovation of Sweden, will be launched early 2019.
AI Innovation of Sweden will be funded by Vinnova, Region Västra Götaland, large corporations, SMEs, the public sector, research institutions and academia. Stakeholders from these areas are now invited to become founding partners of the centre and help create a significant resource for Swedish industry, academia and society.
Vision & objectives
The long-term vision of AI Innovation of Sweden is that:
Sweden is a leading nation in the holistic application of AI solutions in industry and society, and internationally recognized from an innovation, ethical and security perspective.
The overall objective for AI Innovation of Sweden is to serve as an engine for the Swedish AI ecosystem that fuels the Swedish economy and attracts leading global expertise who intend on making a significant impact in their field.
AI Innovation of Sweden has the following high-level objectives:
- Accelerate applied AI research and innovation through collaboration and cross-industry sharing
- Create a dynamic, world-class environment where access to a large quantity of qualitative, unique and interesting data will attract international academic and industrial researchers, as well as research institutes
- Provide a hub for applied AI-related projects and generating data for academia, industry and the public sector
- Stimulate dynamic applied research & innovation activities, facilitating cross-fertilization of AI expertise across a broad range of applications
- Develop and provide methods and infrastructure for managing and using large quantities of data with strong focus on security, i.e. doing this in a controlled and reliable way
- Collaborate with, and strengthen, existing and planned Swedish AI ventures and initiatives
- Attract and help build a critical mass of co-located researchers and innovators
- Stimulate the mobility of people between academia and industry
- Increase the number of undergraduate students in the field by facilitating courses and thesis work (e.g. providing datasets for courses or inviting students to participate in projects)
- Promote responsible use of AI and the development of unbiased tools
In the educational realm, AI Innovation of Sweden will establish partnerships with Swedish universities with the aim of attracting talent to the field of AI. The centre will also strive to make machine learning more appealing and increase of the number of students who choose it (e.g. by providing datasets for courses, inviting students to participate in projects, particularly ones that support master’s theses).
AI Innovation of Sweden will be based on European values and ethics that generate trust and confidence, and will engage in discussions with relevant national and international organisations about the ethical and security aspects of AI applications.
As its main cornerstones, AI Innovation of Sweden will be comprised of the following resources